Goodreads Profile

All my book reviews and profile can be found here.

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Ex-RH CEO Alberto Vitale Sill Has a Lot to Say About Publishing | Publishing Perspectives

Ex-RH CEO Alberto Vitale Sill Has a Lot to Say About Publishing | Publishing Perspectives:


Alberto Vitale is nearly 80 years old. He ran Random House  from 1989 until 2002. The difference between his viewpoint and the leadership of the current mainstream big publishing houses is astounding. Most of the quotes I’ve pulled from the interview say things that I think are totally obvious, but are heresy to ”publishing insiders”. I used to wonder if I really just didn’t know enough about the publishing business and there was some sort of insider knowledge that would change my mind. There aren’t a whole lot of people who can lay claim to having more experience in publishing than Vitale. Reading this interview leads me to think that this stuff really is as obvious as it seems. For the folks who are on the inside of publishing, I would like to call it this bit of wisdom from Vitale: I think everyone spending time talking about threats is wasting a lot of time and a lot of goodwill.
-William Ockham

Tip of the hat to The Passive Voice Blog for this.
'via Blog this'

No comments: