Goodreads Profile

All my book reviews and profile can be found here.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The Wrong Quarry (Hard Case Crime) by Max Allan Collins

I have read all the Keller, Quarry and Parker books except for this, the most recent.  It’s good.

What is it about “hit man” books that attracts us (or me anyway?) I suspect it’s the lifestyle, the hunt, the tracking, etc. The Walter Mitty quality of it all. I think it would be great fun -- except for the killing part.  There I draw the line.  Guess I’d be a lousy hit man.  Come to think of it, I’ve never had women fawning all over me either.  That’s OK, my wife loves me.

Collins has taking Quarry in a novel direction.  Rather than being hired through a middle man to hit people, he’s managed to obtain the list of contacts kept by the broker and is using it to determine who the target might be.  He then contacts the target and offers to eliminate the threat from the hit man -- for a fee, of course.

Cute.  You can read a basic plot summary above, so I don’t feel it necessary to reiterate it. Let’s just say that after the preliminaries, Quarry thinks something's just not right.

Fun.



'via Blog this'

No comments: