Goodreads Profile

All my book reviews and profile can be found here.

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane | LibraryThing

Excellent book.  I saw the movie years ago but frankly can’t remember it and the idea that Leonard DiCaprio could play a U.S. Marshal rather frightens me.

Two U.S. Marshals are sent to investigate the disappearance of an inmate at a remote asylum for the criminally insane. It appears to be the classic locked room mystery: a woman vanished from her room through locked windows and doors, passed guards, etc.  There’s also a storm coming, in more ways than one.

Teddy, the lead marshal, has a hidden agenda.   He asked for the case when he learned that the firebug who caused the death of his wife in a fire had been sent there.  He’s tormented by his dreams.   But then the staff and doctors start feeding him drugs, unbeknownst to him.  And Chuck, the second marshal disappears or is killed.  Is he living a nightmare?

The ending blew me away.  Just when I thought I had it all figured out, my view of reality was completely upended.  Total surprise.  I really should reread the book and see if I missed any hints.

'via Blog this'

No comments: