Goodreads Profile

All my book reviews and profile can be found here.

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Hope to Die (Matthew Scudder Mysteries) by Lawrence Block | LibraryThing

Another classic Scudder novel.  As I’ve noted in other Block reviews, I’ve listened to Block read his own work and there’s a definite cadence to his writing, as unique as Robert Parker’s Spenser novels (but much less intrusive.) So now when I read any of Block’s work, it’s almost as if I’m hearing his voice in my head.  Pleasant but sometimes disconcerting.

Scudder investigates the killing, burglary and rape of the Hollanders.  He’s approached initially by Byrne Hollander’s niece who has suspicions that their daughter, Kristin, was somehow involved. Nothing seems to point in that direction but the discovery of the bodies of the two burglars, dead from an apparent murder/suicide seems a bit too coincidental for Scudder. Good investigation despite the rather thin motivation for the complicated killings.

Something I found a bit discomfiting was the italicized thoughts of the killer, outlining and discussing his actions. I may be wrong, but I don’t remember that kind of interposition in the other Scudder books I’ve read.

'via Blog this'

No comments: