Goodreads Profile

All my book reviews and profile can be found here.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache Mysteries, No. 1) by Louise Penny | LibraryThing

Audiobook:  I almost quit listening to this book right in the beginning.  I wasn’t sure where it was going, but the quality of the writing was much better than average so I kept on.  Good thing. It’s a very interesting book, although I must say I didn’t care much for Gamache’s treatment of his new team member, Nicole.  It appeared that he was only interested in a lackey at the feet of the master, rather than an independent thinker, a quality he called arrogant. But that’s OK, one doesn’t have to like the characters.

You can read summaries of the plot all over the place;  no need to be redundant here. I liked the use of the painting providing clues and being at the heart of the dead artist’s relationship to the community. Some interesting details of archery and painting and a nice start to a series that I will certainly follow.  

Not to mention fun details of Quebecois tensions with regard the “English.”  “Quebec works in reality, just not on paper.”  That was the response to a character complaining about the loss of rights to the English who live in Quebec, the French seemingly running the show.

'via Blog this'

No comments: