Goodreads Profile

All my book reviews and profile can be found here.

Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Review: Every Night I Dream of Hell by Malcolm MacKay and the latest Rhodenbarr

Picked this up for $1 at Dollar Tree on a whim. I was not familiar with the author and thought I would give it a try. I was a bit intimidated by the five pages of character lists at the beginning and it took a bit to get into, but I was rewarded with a good story of Glaswegian bad guys and thugs. Told primarily from the perspective of Nate, one of the gang's "security consultants" (enforcer), the crime boss has been jailed and there is a power struggle going on.

I have no idea if MacKay writes from personal experience. I hope not, but I will move on to his Glasgow Trilogy which promises to be just as good.

I had eagerly awaited what I thought was to be the next installment of the Rhodenbarr (The Burglar in Short Order) series only to discover that it's merely a collection of very short stories with Bernie as a vague theme and some essays discussing his genesis. Very disappointed.

No comments: